Are You Easily Distracted?

My latest newsletter is just out. This month's main article is about dealing with distractions.

I doubt you could get through a day without being distracted in one way or another by something. Either externally – by the phone, email and other people or internally – by your thoughts or a change in focus, particularly if you’re working on something that is either difficult or doesn’t really hold your interest. We’re only human and we’re easily bored and it’s too easy to let these distractions interrupt the flow.

- if you'd like to read more of the April issue, just sign up on my website and you'll also receive free Time-saving Tips.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

I've slowly decided that whilst I like to be highly responsive to emails I've become far to distracted by them and I think I spend half my day dithering between emails and my workload, and it's to the detriment of productivity.

I made the decision today that I will no longer leave my email client open and I will only be allowed to open it once every hour.

It's like dealing with an addiction! :)

Clare Evans said...

Spot on Amanda. Being responsive is one thing but it's not the most effective way to use your time. Review my article on Managing your Email for more tips on getting control of your email rather than it taking control of you.

simonr said...

As something slightly off-topic (but hopefully interesting!) when I was doing my Myers-Briggs training one of the ways mentioned of differentiating between Introverts and Extraverts was whether they resented or welcomed interuptions.

Me? I'm of the old school of thought that goes, whenever the phone rings "What fresh hell is this?" Introverted, Me???? :)

S