|Image by spcbrass via Flickr|
At the recent Business Mums Summit I heard many comments from hard-working mums who were trying to squeeze as much as possible into their day, in order to run their own businesses and mostly managing to burn the candle at both ends.
- Getting up early to get work done before the rest of the house wakes-up.
- Fitting in the shopping, housework, feeding the children, school runs with a phone tucked under your chin, talking to a client.
- Working late after the children have gone to bed to catch up on emails, admin and your accounts.
- Working at weekends, while Dad or the grand-parents look after the children or they've been stuck in front of the TV with a DVD.
- Never spending time with your partner, as you're both too tired after a hard day's work or you're just ships that pass in the night.
- Running your own business alongside a full or part-time job, so you're literally squeezing every hour out of the day. Coming back from a full days work to start work on your own business.
No wonder you're run ragged, exhausted, surviving on very little sleep and wondering if it's all worth it. It doesn't have to be this way.
Get some help!
One thing it's important to learn, is that you can't and don't have to do everything yourself. Whether it's help around the house or help with some of the admin in your business, focus on what only you can do and get help from someone else to give you more time. Sometimes it's a matter of just asking.
Plan your time.
Not just the time you spend on your business but the time you have for yourself, time with the family and time for your friends. Make sure that the time you spend working on your business is spent productively, so you can maximise your results. Know what you need to do on a daily, weekly and monthly basis to grow your business.
Create systems and processes to make life easier and organise your time effectively so you waste less of it. Rushing around every morning trying to find what's needed for school just creates stress. Build structure and routines in to your day to make life easier for yourself and your family.
Look after yourself.
This is one of the hardest things for people (especially mums) to do. You're so busy looking after everyone else that you never find time for yourself. If you're tired, grumpy and not working efficiently you're not doing yourself or anyone around you any favours. Make sure you get some time out each day, so you're always working at your best.
If you want to find out how to have it all AND get more sleep - book up a free Strategy Session.