Mahut And Isner's Recording Breaking Match

I'm sure many of us have been gripped by the tennis this week.  OK, I have to admit that I'm not into football, although I might sneak a peak at some of the World Cup but you've got to admire and be astounded at the sheer athleticism of Nicolas Mahut and John Isner in their record breaking match this week.

Both players were on court for a total of 11hrs and 5 minutes.  In all that time the quality of the tennis didn't drop and a total of 215 aces were served over the course of 3 days.  They played solidly for 6 1/2 hours before even taking their first comfort break - with only breaks between serves and a change of balls otherwise non-stop tennis.  I can't even contemplate what that must have done to their bodies and how they must be feeling now.

Compare that to the 90 minutes with a break at half-time and maybe a bit of injury time and extra time that footballers play.  Plus as John McEnroe pointed out - there are 11 of them involved and a bench of substitutes so they may not even play for a full game.

These guys (the tennis players) are just amazing athletes and I'm enjoying another fortnight of great tennis.

No comments: