What's On Your Business Card?

Having got back from a day's seminar and networking opportunity yesterday - I returned with a number of business cards. Now you'd think that the idea of a business card is to provide your details in one easy to read format. Have a thought when you get your business card designed and printed.

Readable print. I'm not yet in need of reading glasses although I'm starting to find I need longer arms these days but some of the print is so teeny, weeny on some of these business cards that you need a good light and a magnifying glass to read it.

Contrasting colours. While you might think that shiny silver looks good, light coloured writing on silver doesn't - again, I need to get out the reading glasses and angle it just right so I can read the letters and numbers. The same applies to light colours or where there's not much contrast between the text and background - it's difficult to read.

Photos. If you're going to have a photo on your business card, there's no harm in smiling. I think a passport-like blank stare isn't a good look, although at least it does serve as a prompt for when you next meet the person.

I like to write on the back of business cards - notes, comments, when we met - but glossy surfaces make this difficult to do - I've noticed this on my own cards. Worth considering when I next get them printed.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hi Clare. First of all major congratulations about your book - a fantastic achievement. Secondly, the issue of business cards is really interesting. Thankfully I have not committed any of the above crimes but my latest cards have just my name and contact details and no details of my actual work - and if am wondering if that is enough. Anyway, it is good to experiment...

Clare Evans said...

Thanks Elisabeth. I think business cards should be relatively clean and uncluttered with the minimum of information although a well placed tagline or a few words about what you do can be useful - many people leave the back of the card blank. I think when I get mine reprinted I'll add a few well chosen words.