Dawn Chorus

I woke up this morning at 4.30am - not unusual for me these days. Switched on the radio and started listening to the World Service for a few minutes, which was difficult as it was being drowned out by the wonderful noise of all the birds outside - singing their little heads off despite it not yet being light - although sunrise wasn't far away.

I heard a rumble of thunder in the distance and a few minutes later the heavens opened and there was a torrential downpour. I even got out of bed to watch. I love watching thunderstorms although this one didn't pass close by and there were just a few flashes of distant sheet lightening and the odd rumble of thunder.

I don't think the birds even stopped singing, although their song was temporarily drowned out by the rain. As soon as it stopped, there they were singing away again. Blackbirds, thrushes, robins, wrens and chaffinches being the main ones heard locally - all either defending their territory or advertising for a mate. Breeding season is in full swing so this is the peak time to listen to the annual chorus which tails off over the summer.

They're still singing now - several hours later. Not to the same extent but there's a blackbird that spends most of it's day in and around my garden singing either from the fence, cherry tree or a rooftop. I hope he's doing well!

Sometimes it's not so bad having a disturbed night's sleep when you get to listen to the dawn chorus.

No comments: